The Nebraska ladies’s basketball staff returns to Massive Ten street motion this week when the Huskers tackle Illinois in Champaign on Thursday night time.
• Tip off between the Huskers (7-9, 2-Three Massive Ten) and the Fighting Illini (9-7, 1-Four Massive Ten) is about for 7 p.m. (CT) on the State Farm Middle. Reside radio protection (starting at 6:45 p.m.) could be heard in Lincoln on B107.Three FM and in Omaha on CD 105.9 FM and throughout the state on Husker Sports activities Community stations. Free stay audio may also be discovered at Huskers.com and the Huskers App.
• A reside video stream might be out there to BTN Plus subscribers.
• The Huskers will attempt to snap a three-game dropping streak that has come towards three of the Huge Ten’s greatest and most skilled groups in Rutgers (5-Zero), No. 9 Maryland (Four-Zero) and No. 19 Iowa (2-2).
• Rutgers moved into the highest 25 for the primary time this season at No. 20, following a 62-56 win over Nebraska.
• Nebraska has performed six groups which were ranked within the prime 25 this season (Drake, Miami, Louisville, Iowa, Maryland, Rutgers), together with 4 faculties ranked at recreation time (at No. 24 Miami, at No. 5 Louisville, at No. 19 Iowa and vs. No. 9 Maryland). The Massive Ten has six groups ranked on this week’s Related Press Prime 25 (No. 9 Maryland, No. 17 Michigan State, No. 20 Rutgers, No. 22 Iowa, No. 23 Minnesota and No. 25 Indiana).
• 5 of Nebraska’s losses this season have been by two possessions or much less, with three of these coming towards groups which were ranked within the prime 25 this season. Nebraska’s three double-digit losses have all been to prime 25 groups at recreation time.
• Nebraska is the one group within the Massive Ten with two freshmen as its prime two scorers, and the Huskers are the one workforce within the convention with two non-starters main the staff in scoring.
• Leigha Brown, a 6-1 freshman from Auburn, Ind., leads Nebraska with 10.Four factors per recreation together with 14.Four factors in Massive Ten play. Fellow freshman Sam Haiby, a 5-9 guard from Moorhead, Minn., has added 10.2 factors per recreation off the bench.
• Nebraska’s lively roster is among the most collectively inexperienced within the Huge Ten, getting into the Illinois recreation with simply 9,822 cumulative collegiate minutes. By comparability, the Fighting Illini lively roster options 15,341 collegiate minutes together with 13,443 performed at Illinois and a further 1,898 minutes from graduate switch Sarah Shewan at Quinnipiac. To place that in perspective, it’s like Illinois has 138 further 40-minute video games of expertise collectively by their lively gamers.
Nebraska Cornhuskers (7-9, 2-Three Huge Ten)
24 – Maddie Simon – 6-2 – Sr. – F – Eight.1 ppg, Three.6 rpg
31 – Kate Cain – 6-5 – So. – C – 7.Three ppg, 6.Eight rpg
Three – Hannah Whitish – 5-9 – Jr. – G – Eight.Three ppg, 2.Eight rpg
5 – Nicea Eliely – 6-1 – Jr. – G – Eight.Three ppg, Four.1 rpg
33 – Taylor Kissinger – 6-1 – So. – G – 9.Three ppg, Three.9 rpg
Off the Bench
32 – Leigha Brown – 6-1 – Fr. – F – 10.Four ppg, 2.7 rpg
Four – Sam Haiby – 5-9 – Fr. – G – 10.2 ppg, Three.Three rpg
13 – Ashtyn Veerbeek – 6-2 – Fr. – F – 7.6 ppg, 6.1 rpg
44 – Kayla Mershon – 6-Three – Fr. – F – Three.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg
14 – Grace Mitchell – 6-2 – Jr. – F – 1.2 ppg, 1.2 rpg
11(out) – Kristian Hudson – 5-5 – Sr. – G – 2.Four ppg, 1.6 rpg
Head Coach: Amy Williams (Nebraska, 1998)
Third Season at Nebraska (35-42); 12th Season General (228-151)
Illinois Fighting Illini (9-7, 1-Four Massive Ten)
35 – Alex Wittinger – 6-1 – Sr. – F – 15.Eight ppg, 7.9 rpg
50 – Ali Andrews – 6-2 – Jr. – F – 7.Eight ppg, Three.6 rpg
Zero – J-Naya Ephraim – 5-9 – Fr. – G – Four.1 ppg, Three.2 rpg
1 – Brandi Beasley – 5-7 – Jr. – G – 10.Four ppg, Four.Three rpg
5 – Cierra Rice – 5-9 – Jr. – G – 7.9 ppg, Three.7 rpg
Off the Bench
Three – Arieal Scott – 5-9 – Fr. – G – Eight.6 ppg, 2.Three rpg
30 – Courtney Joens – 5-10 – Jr. – G – 6.Eight ppg, Three.Three rpg
31 – Sarah Shewan – 6-2 – Sr. – G – 5.Three ppg, Three.Zero rpg
23 – Jaelyne Kirkpatrick – 5-7 – Sr. – G – Four.Zero ppg, 1.2 rpg
Four – Mackenzie Blazek – 6-Three – Fr. – F – Three.6 ppg, Three.1 rpg
2 – Lyric Robins – 5-11 – So. – F – Zero.7 ppg, Zero.Four rpg
Head Coach: Nancy Fahey (Wisconsin, 1981)
Second Season at Illinois (18-29); 33rd Season General (755-162)
Scouting The Illinois Fighting Illini
• Illinois returns to the State Farm Middle with a 9-7 general report that features a 1-Four Huge Ten mark following a 62-48 loss at Penn State on Saturday in State School.
• The Fighting Illini are 7-Three at house this season however they’ve dropped three straight video games on their house courtroom, together with a 71-60 loss to Rutgers on Jan. 9. Illinois opened convention play with an 85-83 additional time loss at house to Indiana. The Illini closed non-conference play with a 67-45 residence loss to Missouri.
• Illinois snapped a 29-game Huge Ten dropping streak with a 66-62 win over then No. 12 Minnesota at Williams Area in Minneapolis on Jan. 6. It marked Coach Nancy Fahey’s first Huge Ten win in her second season at Illinois. Final season, Fahey’s Illini went 9-22 general, together with Zero-16 in Huge Ten play earlier than dropping within the first spherical of the Huge Ten Event.
• A member of the Ladies’s Basketball Corridor of Fame, Fahey led Washington College in St. Louis to 5 NCAA Division III nationwide championships in her 31 seasons as head coach of the Bears.
• Former Nebraska assistant LaKale Malone is the affiliate head coach for the Illini.
• Illinois is led by one of many Massive Ten’s greatest forwards in Alex Wittinger. The 6-1 senior from Delano, Minn., is averaging 15.Eight factors, 7.9 rebounds and a couple of.7 blocks per recreation. Wittinger, who produced a triple-double final season, owns 30 profession double-doubles.
• Wittinger enters the Nebraska recreation with 1,414 factors, 849 rebounds, 242 blocks and 99 profession steals. She had 19 factors on 9-of-10 capturing whereas including 4 steals in Saturday’s loss at Penn State.
• Whereas Wittinger went 9-for-10 from the sector at Penn State, the remainder of the Illini went 9-for-45, together with Four-for-21 from three-point vary.
• Whereas Wittinger is the lone senior within the Illini’s common beginning lineup, juniors Brandi Beasley and Cierra Rice give Illinois an skilled beginning trio. Wittinger has made 94 begins in her profession.
• Beasley is the one different Illinois participant averaging double figures, producing 10.Four factors, Four.Three rebounds and group bests of 5.Four assists and 1.5 steals per recreation. The 5-9 level guard has began 76 video games over the previous three seasons, together with all 16 alongside Wittinger and Rice this season.
• Rice, a 5-9 redshirt junior guard, has managed 7.9 factors and three.7 rebounds this season. She has made 44 begins in her collegiate profession.
• A 3rd junior, 6-2 ahead Ali Andrews, has made 13 begins this season and 43 in her profession. She is averaging 7.Eight factors and three.6 rebounds whereas capturing an impressive 44.9 % (22-49) from three-point vary.
• Fellow junior Courtney Joens has added 9 begins this yr whereas managing 6.Eight factors and three.Three boards. Joens can also be a strong long-range shooter, flattening 35.Four % (17-48) of her threes.
• Freshmen J-Naya Ephraim (Four.1 ppg, Three.2 rpg), Arieal Scott (Eight.6 ppg, 2.Three rpg) and Mackenzie Blazek (Three.6 ppg, Three.1 rpg) even have earned begins and vital enjoying time this yr. Ephraim and Blazek have every made a trio of Massive Ten begins.
• Seniors Sarah Shewan (5.Three ppg, Three.Zero rpg) and Jaelyne Kirkpatrick (Four.Zero ppg, 2.Zero apg) have tried to offer further management. Shewan has performed in all 16 video games, however Kirkpatrick has missed 10 contests after struggling an damage within the Illini’s second recreation of the season towards Valparaiso. Kirkpatrick began Illinois’ first two Huge Ten video games, however didn’t play towards Minnesota, Rutgers or Penn State. • For the season, Illinois is averaging 71.1 factors per recreation whereas capturing 43.Eight % from the sector, together with 30.Eight % from three-point vary. The Illini have hit 67 % of their free throws and personal a plus-1.2 group rebound margin. They carry a minus-Zero.6 turnover margin.
• In 5 Massive Ten video games, Illinois is minus-Eight.2 rebounds per recreation on the boards and minus-1.Zero in turnover margin. The Illini are capturing simply 37.Eight % from the sector and averaging simply 60.Four factors in league play.
Nebraska vs. Illinois Collection Historical past
• Nebraska owns a 12-5 edge within the all-time collection with Illinois, together with a 62-47 win in Lincoln within the final assembly between the faculties on Feb. 1, 2018. Nicea Eliely led the Huskers with 11 factors on 5-of-6 capturing, whereas Taylor Kissinger added 9 factors off the bench. Maddie Simon, Kate Cain and Hannah Whitish all contributed eight factors.
• The win accomplished a season sweep for the Huskers after operating to an 80-72 win over the Illini in Champaign on Jan. 10, 2018. Whitish scored 20 factors and knocked down a career-high six threes to steer 4 Huskers in double figures, together with Maddie Simon (11), Kate Cain (10) and Janay Morton (10).
• Illinois swept the season collection in 2016-17, together with a 79-59 win at State Farm Middle on Jan. 15, 2017. The Illini additionally eradicated Nebraska from the 2017 Huge Ten Event with a 79-70 win at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis on March 1.
• General, Nebraska is 5-2 towards Illinois in Champaign, 1-2 on impartial courts and 6-1 towards the Illini in Lincoln. Nebraska has gained 4 straight video games towards Illinois in Lincoln.
• Nebraska’s collection with Illinois dates again to an 89-86 Husker win over the Illini on the Bob Devaney Sports activities Middle in Lincoln on March Three, 1982.
• The Husker bench has outscored opponents in every of NU’s 16 video games this yr, together with double-digit benefits in 13 video games.
• General, Nebraska’s bench has outscored opposition benches 519-236 (32.Four-14.Eight ppg) for a plus-17.6 margin.
• Nebraska is the one group within the Massive Ten with two gamers off the bench (Leigha Brown, 10.Four ppg; Sam Haiby, 10.2 ppg) as its prime two scorers.
• Nebraska can also be the one staff within the Huge Ten with two freshmen because the group’s prime two scorers.
• Nebraska’s bench outscored the opposition 149-53 over the ultimate 4 non-conference video games, together with a season-high 45 factors at Arkansas. NU’s bench posted a season-best scoring differential (+37) in its final non-conference residence recreation by outscoring Denver’s bench, 40-Three.
• Nebraska’s bench has scored 40 or extra factors 4 occasions, together with 45 at Arkansas, 42 factors towards San Jose State, 41 factors towards Drake and 40 towards Denver.
• In Nebraska’s Huge Ten-opening win over Michigan (Dec. 28), the Husker bench outscored the Wolverine bench 28-10, together with 14-Zero within the fourth quarter.
• In a 78-69 win at Ohio State, the Husker bench outscored Buckeye reserves, 35-24.
• In a loss at No. 19 Iowa (Jan. Three), Nebraska’s bench outscored the Hawkeye bench, 28-11, earlier than outscoring No. 9 Maryland’s bench, 28-14 (Jan. Eight). NU’s bench outscored the Rutgers bench, 34-17 (Jan. 13). Nebraska owns a 153-76 (30.6-15.2, +15.Four ppg) edge off the bench in Huge Ten play.
• Freshman Sam Haiby led Nebraska with 13 factors in a season-opening loss to Drake (Nov. 7). Haiby is the primary Husker freshman to steer NU in scoring in an opener since Kelsey Griffin’s 18 in a loss to South Dakota State (Nov. 19, 2005).
• A minimum of one Nebraska freshman has led the Huskers in scoring in 10 of 16 video games this season (Haiby-5; Brown-5; Veerbeek-1).
• Sophomore Kate Cain owns the longest streak of consecutive begins by a Husker with 47.
• Junior Nicea Eliely owns Nebraska’s second-longest streak of begins with 42, whereas senior Maddie Simon has began 40 consecutive video games.
• Nebraska’s bench has outscored the opponent reserves in 16 consecutive video games this season.
• Nebraska has featured the identical beginning lineup – Maddie Simon/Kate Cain/Hannah Whitish/Nicea Eliely/Taylor Kissinger for 14 consecutive video games.
• Kate Cain has no less than two rebounds in each recreation of her Nebraska profession (48), and she or he has blocked no less than one shot in 45 of 48 video games (no blocks in 2018 NCAA Event vs. Arizona State, no blocks at Creighton, Dec. 2, 2018; no blocks vs. Rutgers, Jan. 13, 2019).
• Junior Grace Mitchell had appeared in 13 consecutive video games off the bench, together with the primary 11 contests this season, earlier than lacking the Huge Ten opener towards Michigan (Dec. 28) with a foot damage. Mitchell, who additionally missed NU’s win at Ohio State (Dec. 31) returned to motion at Iowa (Jan. Three).
• The Huskers have knocked down at the least one three in 328 straight video games courting again to a loss at UTEP on Dec. 20, 2008. Nebraska has hit at the very least two three-pointers in 207 consecutive video games.
Nebraska Numbers to Watch
• (1) Sophomore Taylor Kissinger is one level away from 400 in her profession.
• (Three) Freshman Ashtyn Veerbeek is three rebounds away from 100 in her profession.
• (Four) Junior Hannah Whitish wants 4 factors to succeed in 800 in her profession.
• (5) Whitish wants 5 assists to succeed in 300 in her Husker profession.
• (6) Junior Nicea Eliely is six factors away from 600 in her profession.
• (13) Eliely is 13 rebounds from 300 profession boards.
• (14) Kissinger is 14 three-pointers away from 100 in her profession.
Freshmen Contributing Early for Huskers
• Nebraska has acquired manufacturing early and sometimes from its 2018-19 freshman class. The four-player class, which was ranked among the many prime 20 recruiting courses within the nation by ESPN final season, options Leigha Brown (10.Four ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.Three apg), Sam Haiby (1 Zero.2 ppg, Three.Three rpg, 2.Eight apg), Ashtyn Veerbeek (7.6 ppg, 6.1 rpg) and Kayla Mershon (Three.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg).
• Leigha Brown, who earned Huge Ten Freshman-of-the-Week honors (Jan. 7), leads Nebraska in scoring with 10.Four factors per recreation, together with a team-best 14.Four factors per Huge Ten recreation. She erupted for a career-high 20 factors at No. 19 Iowa (Jan. Three). It was her second straight recreation main the Huskers, after scoring a then-career-high 19 factors at Ohio State (Dec. 31). She added 18 factors and a career-high six rebounds in a slender loss to nationally ranked Rutgers (Jan. 13). She additionally had 18 factors within the win over San Jose State (Dec. Eight), earlier than including 17 factors and a career-high 5 assists within the win over Denver (Dec. 15).
• Brown, a 6-1 wing from Auburn, Indiana owns seven double-figure scoring efforts and has led the Massive Pink in scoring 5 occasions this season, together with three of 5 Huge Ten video games.
• During the last eight video games, Brown is averaging 32.Four factors, 6.6 rebounds, Three.Four assists and a couple of.Zero steals per 40 minutes (116 factors, 27 rebounds, 14 assists, Eight steals, 163 minutes) whereas hitting 53 % (35-66) of her photographs from the sector, together with 48.Three % (14-29) of her threes.
• In her first eight video games, Brown averaged 16.6 factors, Four.9 rebounds, 1.Eight assists, 1.2 steals per 40 minutes (54 factors, 16 rebounds, 6 assists, Four steals, 130 minutes), whereas hitting 34 % (16-47) of her area objectives and 21.7 % (5-23) of her threes.
• Haiby, a 5-9 guard from Moorhead, Minn., ranks second among the many Huskers with 10.2 factors per recreation off the bench. She has led the Huskers in scoring in 5 video games, together with towards nationally ranked Drake (13) and Miami (14), whereas additionally scoring a career-high 20 factors at Washington State and including 17 factors at Creighton. She additionally had 16 factors to steer the Huskers at Arkansas (Dec. 18). She owns seven double-figure scoring efforts general, together with 12 factors at No. 5 Louisville (Nov. 29) and 12 extra in Nebraska’s Massive Ten-opening win over Michigan (Dec. 28).
• Haiby additionally ranks second among the many Huskers in assists (2.Eight apg).
• Ashtyn Veerbeek ranks third among the many Husker freshmen in scoring with 7.6 factors per recreation, whereas main the freshmen and rating second on the workforce with 6.1 rebounds. Veerbeek produced her first profession double-double with profession highs of 14 factors and 14 rebounds in a win over San Jose State (Dec. Eight). She matched her profession excessive with 14 factors in simply 14 minutes within the win over Denver (Dec. 15). She added 14 factors for the third straight recreation at Arkansas (Dec. 18) for her fourth double-digit scoring effort of the yr. She additionally ranks second among the many Huskers with 12 blocks.
• Kayla Mershon has pitched in Three.1 factors and a couple of.6 rebounds per recreation for the Huskers. Her manufacturing is on the rise in Massive Ten play. Final week, she scored a career-high eight factors towards No. 9 Maryland (Jan. Eight), earlier than including seven factors towards nationally ranked Rutgers (Jan. 13). She had a career-high seven rebounds in a win over Kansas (Dec. 5). The 6-Three ahead from Chanhassen, Minn., additionally has dished out 12 assists and has dedicated a team-best 5 turnovers via 16 video games. She has a team-best assist-to-turnover ratio of 12-to-5 (2.Four-to-1) whereas including eight steals and 4 blocks.
• The freshmen have mixed for 42 % (501-of-1,194) of Nebraska’s factors in simply 35.9 % of the workforce’s complete minutes (1,166-of-Three,250) on the season. Additionally they have accounted for simply 28 % (72-of-257) of Nebraska’s turnovers.
• Nebraska’s 4 freshmen are combining to common 31.Three factors and 14.6 rebounds per recreation – all off the bench, giving the Huskers one of many deepest and most efficient benches within the Huge Ten.
(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_GB/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=685417041551983&version=v2.0”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.5&appId=1385286605133994”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));